[ home ]
Injuries I have or had
This page gives a list of "injuries" I have or had. I'm not counting cuts, bruises,
or things that go away after a day or two.
I'll tell you why.
Every time I get an "injury" of some sort, I tend to
think the worst, and expect whatever is wrong to remain wrong forever.
However, the truth is that every single "injury" I've ever had has been resolved, or
at least I know how to resolve it or make symptoms go away. The purpose of this page
is to make me finally understand this.
As a disclaimer, "injury" here mostly means weird muscle or joint pain, rather
than broken bones or severed limbs.
I start counting at around the start of 2020. The idea is to go through this list
every once in a while, and mark items "gone" when they are resolved.
right hip feels like baby deer trying to walk
- start/cause: start of 2020 somewhere; mostly after heavyish deadlifts, but now (2020-03-19) approx 1 week after last deadlift
- symptom: at some leg orientation there is either no strength or pain/crackling around right hip joint
- reaction: oh shit nerve is damaged, or cartilage in hip joint is damaged - woe is me
- 2020-04: weird, some days it's gone, some days it's not. Have not done any sport for about 3 weeks now (corona). Perhaps it's sleep-position and/or -duration related.
- 2020-04-16: I can reproduce this by keeping leg straight and bending it backwards (in the direction of the heel). At some orientation there's pain and
perhaps loss of strength, not clear. If this gets worse or more frequent in a month or two, perhaps see physiotherapist.
- 2020-04-22: doing fast air squats / clean squats without warming up properly may be part of the cause - wonky hips after doing that
- 2020-06: all gone, just did lots of more stuff
- 2020-08: occurs every now and then; it's not a big deal. Mostly there in the morning, and gone after moving around a bit.
- 2020-10-12ish: I think it occurs mostly right after waking up after having been asleep in a weird position. Hip snaps/pops noticeably more this week, possibly from doing many bw and front squats.
stinging pain in shoulders
- start/cause: doing a gazillion snatch balances with crap mobility 2020-08-03
- symptom: stinging pain in shoulder when raising arm; slightly more right than left
- reaction: omg shoulder impingement, collarbones are sticking into muscles, bones are scraping against one another
- 2020-08-07: still there. Left arm is sort of OK. Right arm hurts near deltoid when lifting straight arm up in front of me.
- 2020-08-10: still there, but significantly less. Neither presses nor chinups seem to hurt; not doing oly stuff yet.
- 2020-08-21: gone in left arm, but still there in right arm albeit less. Seeing physiotherapist in a few days. Not doing oly stuff or boxing yet.
- 2020-08-26: a bit less. Went to physiotherapist - confirmed impingement. Doesn't cause long term harm, just let it heal, do dropsnatches slowly or spread out over time. I will start oly stuff and boxing in half a week I think, provided back is better.
- 2020-08-29: still there in right shoulder at a certain angle. I guess I'll just start using it again in moderation - let's see what happens.
- 2020-09-05: pretty much but not 100% over, and not gonna wait for it to be over - forget it, warm up slowly and don't go crazy with overhead stuff
- 2020-09-16: getting worse for some reason, perhaps from benchpressing? not doing oly stuff yet. Let's try banded stretches and anteriour stretches for whole arms.
- 2020-10-16: still there, ffs. Muscle snatch 20kg bar causes more pain afterwards, so not doing any pulling. Lots of stretches and overhead squats, and now let's try strenghtening rotator cuff muscles using bands.
Gone / know-how-to-fix
left lower back muscle pain (erector spinae?)
- start/cause: situps and shitty form while deadlifting medium weights, started around 2020-01
- symptom: pain/weakness in left lower back, superficial, also when pressing down onto muscle in lower back. Can't reach left foot with my hands very well (stiffness in back).
- reaction: feels superficial so probably not a big deal
- 2020-03: pretty much gone; I can reach left foot again properly, and pain is gone.
- 2020-03-17: gone. Will probably occur again some time.
- 2020-09-17: it's back, for sure from doing many deadlifts sometimes with semi-shitty form
- 2020-09-18: already a bit better
- 2020-10: over
sciatia (I guess) right heel
- start/cause: pretty much comes and goes a bit since L5/S1 hernia around 1993, although operation did help.
- symptom: annoying pain in right heel when applying pressure, or "feeling heartbeat" in right heel, especially when raising straight right leg
- reaction: oh shit hernia is back, cartilage is inflexible and hardened, this is never going to heal, vertebra are grinding against each other
- 2019: stretching hamstrings works very temporarily (< 1h). Either weighted hyperextension, deadlifts and/or sleeping on proper mattress seems to fix it more permanently.
- 2019-11ish: stopped deadlifts and weighted hyperextensions for a while, did ropejumping, and slept on a bad mattress, and issue came back
- 2020-01: resumed deadlifts but ditched weighted hyperextensions, slept on proper mattress, still doing ropejumping, and issue seems to slowly go away. Started moderate clean&jerk and snatch, which if anything makes it better.
- 2020-02: doing deadlifts, ropejumping, sleeping for 1w on bad mattress, not doing hypers: all OK except for first minutes after getting up
- 2020-03: pretty much gone. Didn't do a lot of deadlifts or ropejumping, but slept on good mattress and did cleans/snatches with moderate weight.
- 2020-03-12: occurred right after I did overhead presses
- 2020-03-17: still there
- 2020-04: pretty much gone. Shoulder breakers if anything seem to help too.
- 2020-04-22: air squats, shoulder breakers, cleans, all good stuff, completely gone now.
- 2020-07: overhead presses with higher weight/volume is just fine, if I breathe & brace and contract quads, glutes, abs. (I.e. don't let lumbar spine hyperextend.)
- 2020-08-1x: it's back! :-) Caused by doing presses or sitting with slouched posture for too long. Gets better during the day. I will always do some sort of deadlift/pull after pressing from now on.
- 2020-08-26: seriously back. Could this be caused by benchpressing? Haven't done any pressing last couple of days.
- 2020-08-29: still there, not getting less. I'll try light deadlifts, see if that helps. Perhaps jumping down after climbing is not exactly beneficial, but still doing that.
- 2020-09-05: still there, but air squats and overhead squat stretches seem to help. (Or time itself, of course.)
- 2020-09-13: gone. Did air squats, squats, shoulder breakers/stretches, deadlifts, presses, benchpress, and just waited.
lower back feels like it's gonna break when I move
- start/cause: typical lower back pain, various causes, this time probably caused by doing deadlifts 2020-08-18
- symptom: after sitting on chair or in car, sharp pain whenever back moves. Absolutely OK once warmed up or moved around for a while.
- reaction: seen this many times, it'll be OK in a couple of days. Let's just write this down to keep a log.
- 2020-08-21: still there but less. Doing MOAR deadlifts as quickfix didn't instantly solve it.
- 2020-08-23: pretty much gone
- 2020-08-24: it's back! :-) Probably caused/prolonged by lots of squats and perhaps flopping down when benchpressing?
- 2020-08-26: still there. Apparently "squatting more" is not a fix for everything.
- 2020-08-29: still friggin' there. A bit less, perhaps. I'll try light deadlifts, see if that helps.
- 2020-09-05: gone without doing anything serious
occasional stinging pain in left arm/bicep
- start/cause: started slowly around 2020-08-17, perhaps from doing too many chinups?
- symptom: short stinging pain at inside of left humerus near elbow
- reaction: there must be a tear somewhere, omg
- 2020-08-21: still there, about 10-20 times a day; sometimes a whole series of sharp stings in a row.
- 2020-08-26: less, almost gone I think. Stings are and were also in lower arm sometimes.
- 2020-08-29: almost gone. Perhaps once a day now, anywhere on the inside of the arm between shoulder and wrist.
- 2020-09-05: gone
- 2020-10-16: sometimes occurs after stretching shoulder ext rotation too vigorously and/or doing chinups, but gone a few days afterwards
occasional sharp pain between wrist and palm of left hand
- start/cause: no idea; occurred first 2020-08-09, IIRC
- symptom: stinging pain that gradually but quickly comes and goes (off/on/off in about 5 seconds), even when doing nothing, couple of times per day
- reaction: wth did I do wrong now?
- 2020-08-21: forgot about this - gone now. Imagine that.
sharp pain at left wrist
- start/cause: cleans / snatches / overhead squats around start of 2020-03
- symptom: sharp pain in left wrist when bending in a weird way or turning objects in my hand. Also lack of power when internally rotating underarm.
- reaction: omg bones are scraping against one another
- 2020-03-18: significantly less pain, but still almost no strength when lifting with supinated grip. Actually using wrist (lifting stuff or using screwdriver) seems to help, if anything.
- 2020-04: still there. Doing shoulder breakers isn't exactly helping, I guess.
- 2020-04-16: still there, but getting a bit looser: I can snap ulna and carpals apart sometimes - they used to be very tight. Lack of strength with supinated grip
remains - curling 20kg barbell with both hands is painful at the left wrist. Let's just wait this out a bit.
- 2020-06: pretty much gone, sort of - was "more gone" after months of corona-inactivity, now a bit back after doing snatches daily. Internally rotating is OK; curls still hurt a bit.
- 2020-08: gone. Overhead squats are better now too. Curls are OK, as is internally rotating the hand. Sometimes something hurts when using the hand, but meh.
pain in left pec/shoulder/neck
- start/cause: approx 2019-10, probably either giving left hook wrongly during boxing, or involuntarily pulling bar "through" chest with heavy squats
- symptom: sharp pain with cold temperatures, in the morning, before warming-up
- reaction: oh shit blood vessels broken, muscle fascia too tight or ruptured, nerve damage, collar bone or sternum dislocated
- 2020-01: went to physiotherapist; suggestion: wait it out, squat medium weight more often, warm up before doing chinups. Stopped doing chinups, and only squat medium weight.
- 2020-02: slooowly getting better. Symptom was also pain in left back side of neck, underside of head, from the start. It's mainly there now.
- 2020-02: some days/mornings are good, some are bad. Experimenting with different pillows now.
- 2020-03: I can reproduce pain in left side of neck (sternocleidomastoid?) by trying to pull e.g. a ruler apart in front of chest. Doing inverted rows seems to cause a bit of pain in left pec.
- 2020-03-17: much better now. Almost don't feel it in the morning anymore, but still occurs when driving while window is turned down (cold air?).
- 2020-04: pretty much gone, also when cold wind blows against it through
car window. Can hardly reproduce it by pulling arms apart. Some days it's
back, possibly sleep-position and -duration related (shorter is better).
- 2020-04-16: so much better, almost gone.
- 2020-04-20ish: it's back! :-) Probably from doing daily shoulder breakers or sleeping too long/weird. When I oversleep, I tend to lie on my side, which is incompatible with this pillow/mattress.
- 2020-06: gone - did stretching, overhead squats, snatches almost daily
- 2020-08: still occurs sometimes, not a big deal. I think only left hook causes this. (Did deadlifts, chinups, squats, everything, with zero issues. Occured after boxing.)
pain at left middle of sternum
- start/cause: 2020-04, probably because of doing shoulder breakers
- symptom: dull pain, not very superficial but not very deep either. Pushing it doesn't make it worse. I feel this after doing shoulder breakers.
- reaction: oh shit my rib has disconnected from the sternum
pain at right shoulder blade, mainly when getting up
- start/cause: no idea, possibly bad posture while sleeping, sleeping too long or doing cleans/snatches, around start of 2020-02
- symptom: sharp pain at right shoulder blade (rhomboids?) when getting up or turning over in bed. Seldom if ever after getting up.
- reaction: sort of had this before a couple of times, let's see what happens
- 2020-03: a bit better now
- 2020-03-17: better still
- 2020-04: some days it's there, some it's not. I think it's sleep-position (and -duration!) related. Sleeping shorter seems to help.
- 2020-04-16: let's ignore this. I think it's sleep-position related. Doesn't bother me otherwise, and is not getting worse when doing shoulder mobility stretches.
- 2020-06: gone
- start/cause: 2020-01, possibly from ropejumping or jump during clean&jerk or snatch
- symptom: tendon along middle of underside of foot feels very sensitive
- reaction: oh shit a tendon tear
- 2020-02: still there when standing on toes. Feels more like a tendon/muscle jumping around a bit? I think I'll ignore this for now.
- 2020-03: still there when standing on toes; not getting worse
- 2020-03-17: I'm going to ignore this, because it's not preventing me from doing anything
- 2020-04: significantly better, pretty much gone after not doing cleans/snatches for about 3 weeks (corona).
- 2020-04-16: nope, still there when I stand on my toes :-) Let's ignore this from now on.
"electric" pain at palm of left hand/wrist when bending hand back or carrying weight
- start/cause: reminded around start of 2019, been there since 2003 or something. Caused by stupidly hanging bucket of paint off 2 fingers, then felt something snap/tear. #brilliantideas
- symptom: sharp sting during press, clean&jerk, chinups
- reaction: oh shit a muscle tore right off the bone, this will never heal
- 2018/2019: been to doctor, physiotherapist, hand center, hospital for xray, nerve checkup, MRI scan, nothing found. Got guarantee it's not a tendon tear, not CTS, and will not get worse by loading it. So I basically do my normal stuff and deal with it.
- 2020-01: I feel this again at the rack-position after a clean, and day(s) after that. Pain doesn't seem to accumulate - let's see what happens.
- 2020-02: I can reproduce this by bending/turning my wrist. Let's see if it is OK after left-hook-wrist-pain has healed, i.o.w. if doing cleans made this worse or not.
- 2020-02: doesn't get worse, and just occurs during normal activities now (cutting an apple into bits, peeling a mango)
- 2020-03: fact of life I guess. Doesn't get worse, so I ignore it until it does get worse.
stiffness/pain when rotating lower arms internally
- start/cause: cleans/snatches around 2020-02
- symptom: range of motion seems limited when rotating either lower arm internally ("thumbs down" when pointing arms straight in front of me), and hurts a bit when I do that.
- reaction: sort of had this before - it will probably be OK soon
- 2020-03: pretty much gone
- 2020-03: still occurs after cleans/snatches/frontsquats, and is gone in a few days afterwards
- 2020-04: wrist position when doing shoulder breakers seems to make this worse, or heal slower. Why is right hand not affected at all?
- 2020-04-16: shoulder breakers doesn't seem to make this worse after all, although perhaps it prolongs healing. Getting slightly better.
- 2020-04-22: gone. However, pain at left wrist and lack of strength when lifting with supinated grip is still going on.
- 2020-08: lifting with supinated grip is OK now too, but who does that? Nobody does that.
left side shoulder/back pain (trapezius?)
- start/cause: clean/snatch a bit too eagerly 2020-02-15
- symptom: pain when tilting head back and to the left or straighten my upper back
- reaction: I spose this is gone in a week or so
- 2020-03: gone
- 2020-04: had this again, I think sleep-position/-duration related, and was gone a few days later.
- 2020-06: gone
knee pain after high bar squatting, running or front squatting
- start/cause: somewhere in 2019, caused by running
- symptom: burning pain underneath, below and above patella
- reaction: oh shit I'm too heavy to load my knees this way, this will get worse, wth is going on under my kneecap, my tendons are going to snap off
- 2020-01: still occurs after front squats; use low bar mechanics during back squats fixes those 100%, use jumprope instead of running, don't stand for a long time. But I want to do front squats too, so...
- 2020-02: front squats cause medium knee pain, but only for a short while (1 day or so). Running caused more pain, and longer.
- 2020-03: forget it, it's fine. Not doing any exercise for a week resulted in about the same knee discomfort as when doing activity, at least right after getting up. #age
- 2020-06: actually doing more squats/cleans/snatches makes this better. But still not doing any running.
- 2020-08: gradually resumed running in a bit less insane manner, which is OK. If anything, doing more (squats) makes it better.
- 2020-08-21: new cheapo mattress pretty much made this go away overnight - no knee pain in the mornings anymore.
- 2020-10-16: squatting pretty much every day for a few weeks now, and knees are remarkably bulletproof. Also occasionally running in intervals, also no problem.
left wrist pain after giving left hook
- start/cause: 2019-09ish; occurs at giving first few left hooks, always against a glove. (Heavy bag is never a problem.)
- symptom: instant pain/snap/bend of wrist
- reaction: oh shit my wrist is broken or ligaments/tendons are torn
- 2019-12ish: wrapping left wrist tightly helps. Also just doing this every week seems to help.
- 2020-01: occured right away again after not having hit anything for about a month or so. Still there next day. (In 2019, wrist was inflexible for about a week.) Let's do this weekly again to see if it goes away. I don't want to tape my wrist; it should fix itself.
- 2020-02: still there 1.5 week after boxing for 1st time after a month. Right wrist is OK, so it's probably not just from doing cleans.
- 2020-02-15: pretty much gone when wrapping left wrist tightly before doing combos
- 2020-03: gone
- 2020-08: still occurs every once in a while. I don't wrap the thumb anymore, just a shitload around the wrists, tightening it multiple times during training, which seems to pretty much prevent this.
bruised rib at lower left side of ribcage
- start/cause: 2019-10ish, received right hook during boxing
- symptom: noticeable at day 1, bad at day 2, can't walk/move properly the next 4 days or so, slowly improves after that
- reaction: oh shit my rib is broken and possibly pokes through my lung
- 2019-12: went away by itself over a course of about 6 weeks